We love brats on the grill, but they always seem to take forever to cook and then the outside is usually too well done, so I always boil them in beer first. When I saw this recipe in Gooseberry Patch's new cookbook, Slow-Cooker Fall Favorites , I added it to my list to be one of the first to make. They taste just like they came off the grill and now we can enjoy one of our favorite summer foods all year long. We prefer to top the brats with sauteed onions and pepper, so I sauteed some green peppers also. Keep your eyes on the blog next week because I have a copy to give away to one of my lucky readers!
LB's Beer Brats
- 6 to 8 Bratwursts
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounce can regular or non-alcoholic beer
- 6 to 8 hot dog buns
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook brats, onion and garlic in oil until brats are browned on all sides.
- Pierce brats with a fork and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Spoon brats mixture into a slow cooker; pour beer over all.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours, until brats are no longer pink in the center.
- Serve brats on buns, topped with onion from slow cooker.