I thought puppy chow was something that was only made at Christmas until I saw a recipe for Valentine Puppy Chow one day while browsing the wonderful world of Pinterest. You add red velvet cake mix to add a hint of red color, while also adding the flavor of red velvet which makes it taste a little different than the traditional Christmas one. I made a few changes to the recipe. The original recipe called for cream cheese and milk, but you had to keep it in the fridge, so I left those ingredients out and it turned out just fine. I highly recommend making this for your Valentine;0)
Valentine Puppy Chow
10 C. Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 C. white chocolate chips
1/2 C. milk chocolate chips
2 C. Red Velvet cake mix
1 C. powdered sugar
1) Place Chex mix in a large bowl with a lid.
2) Place powdered sugar and cake mix in a bowl, and mix.
3) Melt chocolates together in a double broiler until smooth and creamy (*see pic below)
4) Once the chocolate is melted, pour over cereal and stir until coated.
5) Add the cake/sugar mixture to cereal. Place the lid on the bowl and shake until coated.
6) Dump mixture onto a cookie sheet or waxed paper and allow it to cool. Once it is cool, stir in the M&Ms. You can also add sprinkles or heart sprinkles. Store in an air tight container.
*I don't have a double broiler, so instead I add about 2 Cups of water to a pot and place a glass bowl on top of the pot. Add the chocolates and bring the water to a boil. Once it begins boiling, decrease the heat to medium low. Stir until melted.