My husband loves ham sandwiches. When he is in the fields and I'm busy and am unable to deliver lunch to him, he is perfectly content with a ham sandwich. I thought the recipe for Hawaiian Pinwheels in Gooseberry Patch's cookbook,Mom Knows Best would be a nice twist on the traditional ham sandwich. I sliced them because I made them for a party I was hosting, but you could easily leave them whole.
The recipe called for pineapple cream cheese spread. I wasn't able to find it. I don't know if it is my location or if it really is that difficult to find, so I mixed 8-oz cream cheese with 1/4 cup crushed pineapple and juice. I also didn't add the lettuce.
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- ¼ Cup pineapple cream cheese spread
- 12 slices deli ham
- 4 slices Colby Jack cheese
- 1 Cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- Place tortillas on a microwave-safe plate; microwave for 30 seconds.
- Spread each tortilla with one Tablespoon cream cheese; top each with 3 slices ham, once cheese slice and ¼ cup lettuce.
- Roll up tortillas; refrigerate for 2 hours then slice into one-inch pinwheels.